With the holiday season upon us, BGE employees will be donating their time, energy, and financial support to various nonprofits in communities throughout central Maryland. Through BGE’s “Energy for the Community” program, employees are on track to volunteer more than 20,000 hours in 2016.
“For our employees, volunteering and giving back to the community is really a year round endeavor, but the holiday season can add special meaning to contributions,” said Valencia McClure, Vice President of Governmental and External Affairs. “As we close out our 200th anniversary, we do so in the same way we have marked the entire year, by working to strengthen the communities we are proud to serve.”
In addition to donating time, employees this year have given more than $1 million to local charities through the annual Employee Giving Campaign. “Energy for the Community” projects that BGE employees are supporting this month include:
- December 1 – A dozen volunteers purchased, prepared and served dinner to residents of the Believe in Tomorrow Children’s House at Johns Hopkins. This is a respite for children and their families who are receiving life-saving medical treatments at Johns Hopkins Hospital, which is within walking distance of the facility.
- December 1 – Cold weather gear donated by BGE employees to the Light House Shelter through the Kennedy Krieger Festival of Trees.
- December 1-14 – Over 600 “angels” were adopted by hundreds of employee as a part of the Salvation Army Angel Tree program. This program provides gifts of new clothing and toys to thousands of children to help make the holidays brighter for families in need.
- December 1-16 –Reading Partners mentoring sessions with employees helping young students develop their reading skills.
- December 8 – Providing kitchen assistance at Meals on Wheels.
- December 13 – Assisting with breakfast service at Our Daily Bread.
- December 14 – Salvation Army Elf Night where employees and their families wrap the gifts that were donated as a part of the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program.
- December 15 – Art with a Heart Mosaic Creation event where volunteers complete the last of 100 tile mosaics to be installed throughout central Maryland.
- December 15 – Salvation Army Elf Afternoon where employees and their families wrap the gifts that were donated as a part of the Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program.
- December 16 – Light House Shelter Bag Lunch Program supported by BGE’s Governmental and External Affairs team.
- December 21 – Providing kitchen assistance with Moveable Feast.
- December 28 – Preparing Breakfast at Ronald McDonald House.
BGE, founded in 1816 as the nation’s first gas utility, is Maryland’s largest natural gas and electric utility. Headquartered in Baltimore, BGE delivers power to more than 1.25 million electric customers and more than 650,000 natural gas customers in central Maryland. The company’s approximately 3,200 employees are committed to the safe and reliable delivery of natural gas and electricity, as well as enhanced energy management, conservation, environmental stewardship and community assistance. BGE is a subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC), the nation’s leading competitive energy provider. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter, YouTube and Flickr.