Comcast announced enhancements to its Internet Essentials program to support families in response to the coronavirus. As schools suspend classes and companies encourage employees to work from home, the company announced additional measures to help ensure people stay connected to the Internet.
Comcast is taking steps to implement the following new policies for a limited time due to COVID-19:
- Xfinity WiFi Free For Everyone: Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers.
- No Disconnects or Late Fees: Comcast will not disconnect a customer’s internet service or assess late fees if they contact us and let us know that they can’t pay their bills during this period. Care teams will be available to offer flexible payment options and can help find other solutions.
- Internet Essentials Free to New Customers: It’s now easier for low-income families who live in a Comcast service area to sign-up for Internet Essentials, the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program. New customers will receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month. This offer has been extended until May 13.
- Increasing the Speed of Internet Essentials: Additionally, for all new and existing Internet Essentials customers, the speed of the program’s Internet service was increased to 25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream.
- News, Information and Educational Content on X1 and Flex: For those with school-age students at home, Comcast has created new educational collections for all grade levels in partnership with Common Sense Media. Just say “education” into your X1 or Flex voice remote. To help keep customers informed, we also have created a collection of the most current news and information on Coronavirus. Just say “Coronavirus” into your X1 or Flex voice remote.
- Pausing Our Data Plan: With so many people working and educating from home, Comcast wants their customers to access the internet without thinking about data plans. While the vast majority of our customers do not come close to using 1TB of data in a month, the company is pausing our data plans for 60 days giving all customers Unlimited data for no additional charge.
- 24×7 Network Monitoring: Underpinning all of these efforts, Comcast’s technology and engineering teams will continue to work tirelessly to support our network operations. Comcast engineers its network capacity to handle spikes and shifts in usage patterns, and continuously test, monitor and enhance our systems and network to ensure they are ready to support customer usage.
For more information, visit Comcast’s website.