Two members of the Greater Baltimore Committee’s Board of Directors — Jon Laria, managing partner of Ballard Spahr LLP, and Calvin Buter, newly appointed CEO of BGE — and one member of its President’s Advisory Council — Mary Ann Scully, president and CEO of Howard Bank — have been selected to be on the private sector economic development sector announced by Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller, Jr., and House Speaker Michael E. Busch on Tuesday.
The commission will focus on the state’s economic development structure and incentive programs to make recommendations to the presiding officers. This announcement follows the introduction of a joint legislative business and economic development agenda that was announced in January.
“The competition for jobs and economic development will no longer be limited to Maryland versus our sister states. It is going to be a global competition,” Miller said. “We are asking for the expertise of these distinguished individuals because we don’t want Maryland to merely ‘compare favorably’ to other places in the world. We plan to be at the forefront of the innovation economy of the future.”
The commission parallels the agenda for competitiveness the GBC has been championing since 2010, and the GBC is proud to have its board members represented on the initiative.
The Commission will be chaired by Norman Augustine, former Under Secretary of the Army, President of Lockheed Martin, and Chairman and Principal Officer of the American Red Cross. He served for 16 years on the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology under both Republican and Democratic presidents.
A full list of commission members include:
- Peter Armistead Bowe, President, Ellicott Dredge Enterprises
- Calvin Butler, Chief Executive Officer, Baltimore Gas & Electric, and GBC Board member
- Douglas Doerfler, Chief Executive Officer of MaxCyte, Chairman, TechCouncil of Maryland
- Brian Gibbons, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Greenberg Gibbons
- Joshua C. Greene, Co-Founder/Executive Director, Cleantech Open Southeast & Partner, Patton Boggs LLP
- Glen Ives, Vice President of Sabre, Inc. and President of Southern Maryland Navy Alliance
- Jon Laria, Managing Partner, Baltimore, Ballard Spahr LLP, and GBC Board member
- Dr. Victor McCrary, Vice President for Research and Development, Morgan State University
- Dr. Darryll Pines, Dean of the Clark School, University of Maryland, College Park
- Dr. DeRionne Pollard, President, Montgomery College
- Kenneth Rigmaiden, General President, International Union of Painters and Allied Trades
- Mary Ann Scully, Chairman, President, Chief Executive Officer, Howard Bank, and GBC President’s Advisory Council member
- J. Robert Smith, Vice President, Allegany Aggregates
- Christy Wyskiel, Senior Advisor for Enterprise Development, Johns Hopkins University
- Senator Ed Kasemeyer (D- Baltimore/Howard)
- Senator Catherine Pugh (D- Baltimore City)
- Senator David Brinkley (R- Frederick)
- Delegate Dereck Davis (D- Prince George’s)
- Delegate John Bohanan (D- St. Mary’s)
- Delegate Wendell Beitzel (R- Garrett/Allegany)
The Commission will begin work this session and will report back in December of 2014.