More than 140 leaders from the Baltimore region’s bioscience industry and research community will attend a breakfast reception at the Greater Baltimore Committee to honor winners of the 2008 Greater Baltimore Region Bioscience Awards.
This is the third annual awards event presented by the Greater Baltimore Committee, the region’s most prominent organization of business and civic leaders, to recognize outstanding achievements in the region’s bioscience industry. The Greater Baltimore Committee has made support for the emerging bioscience industry in the region one of its top long-term priorities.
Award winners, to be announced, were selected from among 22 nominations submitted by businesses, bioscience advocates, higher education institutions and government officials.
Awards will be presented in the following categories: Best New Product or Progress Award, Entrepreneurship Award, Leadership in Bioscience Award, and President’s Award.
Nominees for this year’s awards are:
Best New Product or Progress Award
• Kris Appel, President & CEO, Encore Path, Inc.
• Timothy E. Askew, President & CEO, CSA Medical, Inc.
• James Campbell, M.D., CEO, Arcion Therapeutics
• William G. Hearl, Ph.D., Founder & President, Immunomic Therapeutics, Inc.
• Ryan Sysko, Founder & CEO, WellDoc Communications, Inc.
• Mohamed S. Al-Ibrahim, MB ChB, FACP, COO & President, SNBL Clinical Pharmacology Center, Inc.
• Scott Allocco, President, BioMarker Strategies, LLC
• Atul Bedi, M.D., Founder, President & Chief Executive Officer, IATRICa Inc.
• David S. Block, Founder & CEO, Gliknik, Inc.
• Julie D. Suman, R.Ph., Ph.D., Co-founder & President, Next Breath, LLC
• Reza Mazhari, Ph.D., VP, Research & Pharmacology and Peter Suzdak, Ph.D., President/CEO & Co-founder, Cardioxyl Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
• Jian Wang, Ph.D., President & CEO, BioFortis
Leadership in Bioscience Award
• Drew M. Pardoll, M.D., Ph.D., Amplimmune
• Blake M. Paterson, M.D., CEO and Co-founder, Alba Therapeutics Corporation
• Stephen P. Auvil, Co-PI, Director, Office of Technology Development, UMBC and the ACTiVATE Program
• Delegate Dan K. Morhaim, M.D., The Maryland House of Delegates, 11th District, Baltimore County
• David J. Ramsay, DM, DPhil, President, University of Maryland, Baltimore
• John T. (Jack) Shannon, Jr., President and CEO, East Baltimore Development Inc. and Scott Levitan, Senior Vice President, Development Director, Forest City Science + Technology Group, Forest City – New East Baltimore Partnership
• Paul Silber, Former President/CEO & Founder, InVitro Technologies, Inc.
• Kathleen O’Donnell Weiss, Executive Director, The BioTechnical Institute of Maryland, Inc.
Program sponsor for the event is KAWG&F. Media sponsor is The Daily Record.