Transportation funding and mobility are critical economic growth challenges for our region. The GBC is a leading advocate for increased transportation funds to provide an efficient and integrated transportation system of roads, airport, ports and transit. The GBC has been instrumental in gaining funding to begin the planning and construction of the Red Line, an east-west rapid transit system from Woodlawn to Inner Harbor East, and expansion of the existing Metro Green Line north from Johns Hopkins medical institutions.
Transportation is not only a regional issue, but is also a serious problem nationwide. The United States lags on infrastructure. Here’s how:
- U.S. infrastructure now ranks No.15 in the world, down from No.1 in 2005, according to the World Economic Forum.
- None of the world’s top 10 ports are in the U.S. Six are in China.
- The U.S. has the world’s worst air traffic congestion.
- Essentially none of the world’s 15,000 miles of true high-speed rail is in operation in the U.S.
Source: Building America’s Future Educational Fund
GBC Transportation Partner
- FY 2011-2016 Consolidated Transportation Program (CTP)
- Baltimore Region Rail System Plan Report
- Vision 2030
- Vision 2035 Draft
- Maryland’s Consolidated Transportation Plan, 2007-2012
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials
- American Public Transportation Association
- Baltimore Metropolitan Council
- Federal Highway Administration
- Federal Transit Administration
- Maryland Department of Transportation
- Maryland Transportation Authority
- Maryland Transit Administration
- Maryland Port Administration
- State Highway Administration
- Motor Vehicle Administration
- Maryland Aviation Administration
- U.S. Department of Transportation
For more information, contact Robert Hellauer, Director of Regional Transportation and Federal Government Affairs.
Recent News: Bioscience Initiative
Congressman Anthony G. Brown and Congresswoman Ann Wagner introduce MORE TOD Act Congressman Anthony G. Brown (MD-04) and Congresswoman Ann Wagner (MO-02) introduced the Maximizing Our Redevelopment and Efficiency for Transit Oriented Development (MORE ...Read More
The Baltimore Sun: Have thoughts about Baltimore-area transit? The MTA wants input on its plans for the next 25 years. By Colin Campbell October 1, 2019 The Maryland Transit Administration is holding a series of open houses later this month ...Read More
Top Transit Experts to be Featured at Event Hosted by GBC and GWP Join us on October 1, 2019 for the second in a series of events to discuss the development of the ...Read More
‘There’s opportunities here for regional collaboration,’ says MTA’s Kevin Quinn at GBC’s Transportation Summit The Daily Record: Baltimore-area transit expected to reach just 50% of new jobs By Adam Bednar Sept. 9, 2019 The ...Read More