Whiteford, Taylor & Preston LLP announced June 6 the completion of a 12-month transition to a new management structure and management team.
• Martin Fletcher, who was designated the Managing Partner-Elect in 2008, assumes the position of managing partner effective today. He succeeds Al Mezzanotte, who has just completed his ninth year as managing partner.
• In addition, the firm has streamlined its structure. In lieu of its former three-member Management Committee and 15-member Executive Committee, the firm is now managed by a single, nine-member Executive Board, led by the managing partner.
“After nine years as managing partner, I am excited about returning to the full time practice of law,” Mezzanotte said. “Having spent the last three years working with Marty on the management team and working with him over the last year on his transition into the managing partner role, I am confident the firm is in good hands for the future.”
The new Executive Board consists of the following equity partners of the firm:
• Martin Fletcher, (Baltimore), Managing Partner of the firm
• Julie Dymowski (Washington), a partner in the Community Association’s Practice and member of the former Management Committee
• Frank Jones, Jr. (Baltimore), head of the Business Department and member of the Boards of both the Greater Baltimore Technology Council and the Maryland Business and Technology Coalition
• William F. Ryan, Jr. (Baltimore), head of the Litigation Department and member of the American College of Trial Lawyers
• John Gontrum (Towson), a partner in the Land Use practice group and Former President of the Baltimore County Bar Association
• Harry Johnson (Baltimore), head of the Products Liability and Environmental Exposure practice, former President of the Maryland State Bar Association, Member of the Maryland State Bar Foundation Board of Directors, and the Fourth Circuit’s Representative on the ABA Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary
• Paul Nussbaum (Baltimore), head of the Business Reorganization & Bankruptcy Litigation practice and Chair of the Firm’s Business Development Committee
• Deborah Diehl (Baltimore), a partner in the Corporate practice group and Member of the Board of the Maryland State Bar Association
• Andrew Terrell (Washington and Northern Virginia), a partner in the Community Associations practice and head of the Virginia office.
In addition, the firm’s Executive Director, Nick Politakis, is a non-voting, ex officio member of the Board.
“Whiteford is a wonderful firm with a 75-year history of excellent service to its clients and the community,” Whiteford said. “It is a great honor to be asked to lead such a fine organization. This is an exciting time in the practice of law, full of both great challenges and great opportunities. With over 150 lawyers in six offices in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia, we are well positioned to serve our clients locally, nationally and, indeed, around the globe. Our recent streamlining of the management structure will enable us to respond ever more effectively to the changing dynamics of the legal market today.”
The attorneys at Whiteford, Taylor & Preston are dedicated to helping our clients achieve their business goals through strategic legal counsel. We serve our clients across the nation and around the globe, wherever your business takes us, from our base of six offices in Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and the District of Columbia.